Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bedding for Baby

With the arrival of the newest member of our family in March, I decided, "How can I save more money?" Jump to crazy idea #22 and make your own baby bedding. I could save at least a hundred dollars, right?  I mean, how hard could it really be. I have a brand new baby, plus a three year old, a pug and husband. No problem. So once I received my newest Jo Ann's advertistment, I headed out to the store.  I, at least have the colors blue and brown in mind. I bought everything cheap.  Ribbons and bumper pads stuffing were stuff I already had around. Not bad! So this is the result...two months later.

The bed sheet is the most easiest.  Anyone can do this. I used 2 yards of cotton flannel. I highly recommend that you pre-wash this fabric because it does shrink. Cut an 8x8 square or 9x9 square off of each corner. I think 8x8 is better, but it also depends on the size of mattress. Surge the right sides of each corner together. Then surge all the way around the sheet. If you use flannel you most likely won't need an elastic band because it is such a nice snug fit. By the way with the left over squares you can make a small baby blanket like the one I did in the first picture.
 The only thing I would have changed would be to use a thicker padding for the bumper. I used a 50% organic bamboo and 50% organic cotton blend which is nice but very thin. It would be great in a blanket or quilt.
What a great way to practice for my sewing business!

4 comments: